Binary

01001000 01100001 01110000 01110000 01111001 00100000 01001110 01100101 01110111 00100000 01011001 01100101 01100001 01110010

“There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don’t.”
PEOPLE are not BINARY, COMPUTERS are.

“They are all around you.  Every path forks off from another path.” Tortoise said. “One path become 2, 2 become 4, the 8, 16, and so on. After 24 forkings, there are over 16 million different paths.” “Oh! It’s the Power of Two again.  But this time it gets bigger instead of smaller.” Laurie said.
– from LAUREN iPSUM: A Story about Computer Science and other iMprobable Things by Carlos Bueno

Holiday Theme   BinaryXmasDecorationbySandra     Rosie the Riveter Theme

COMPUTATIONAL THINKING CONCEPTS
Example: This could be used under the Art, Engineering or Math Tab.

• DATA COLLECTION and ANALYSIS: Count and organize beads
  • DATA REPRESENTATION: What does each bead represent?
  • PROBLEM DECOMPOSITION: Break Byte into Nibble into Bits
  • PATTERN RECOGNITION AND ANALYSIS: What patterns do you see in the different letters?
  • ABSTRACTION: The template
  • ALGORITHM: The steps used to make a binary bracelet.

History:
A Piney Point ES on Binary Day 10-1-11 lesson. That day will never happen again until 3011. How will the classroom look then? Can you image the future? You create the future today!

Goal:
Motivate students to search “binary” and take them down pathways of interest from computational photography to adding in binary.  On to UPC barcodes and QR codes and imagining new inventions that are based on two.

To create Binary Art:

1. Watch video on code.org: Unplugged Binary Images Lesson
  2. Try the really hard Code Studio 4 Binary Art Lesson
  3. If don’t get IT,  go back and complete Code Studio courses 1, 2, and 3

To create Binary Jewelry:

1. Watch video on code.org: Unplugged Binary Bracelet Lesson
  2. Plan your bracelet using the paper bracelet worksheet decoder.
    • Select 3 different beads. Two for the byte and one for the spacer.
    • Pick the letter you are coding.
    • Lay the beads out on the template on the worksheet.
    • Using a string or pipe cleaner to create your binary bracelet or binary ID ring.

Networking Bag – To create an elastic hair band use stretchable string instead of a pipe cleaner.  At right is a sample valentine themed net-work-ing bag. Participates share something about themselves that starts with the letter in their bag. I pass out bags with my business card at presentations as a warm-up.  Saves time as teachers have something to do while I am setting up and walking around getting to know the participants.  I give them the algorithm – you can download the directions here: Binary Bracelet Code.

Now try again, and again, to come up with your own design idea. It takes lots of failures to learn the technique. Learn from experts online.

BinaryBraceletPPT
HISD Piney Point ES First Grade Student Binary Bracelet Assessment Video
I thought … I did … I thought that wasn’t right … I thought to myself to understand what to do … I looked for it … I figured it out …
… “I am going to be a computer scientist.”

Hour of Code MHSREAL-WORLD Fund Raiser – “Make it popular to wear a binary bead bracelet.”
How Video: BinarySammyMHSMake
When I woke up this morning, I did not know I wanted to be an entrepreneur.” – Sammy Memorial High School
Debug Video: BinarySammyMHSFix

binary-code– Decomposition – Abstraction – Pattern Recognition – Algorithms –

BINARY MATH